The Justice Project : Antiracism
Our Racial and Social Justice Pledge: RECAMFT is committed to equity including addressing structural racism and systemic injustice. We endeavor to be inclusive and value individuals from all ethnicities, ages, races, sexual orientations, genders, languages, abilities, religions, citizenship statuses, and socioeconomic backgrounds into our chapter and into treatment.
We strive to advocate, educate, collaborate, and strategize for positive racial and social justice change within our membership and our community.
Our Goal: RECAMFT's goal with this program is to elevate the awareness, sensitivity and education of our members to create a community of healers dedicated to racial and social justice. We appreciate and welcome your feedback sent to email@example.com.
Start now! Here's how it works...
The Justice Project invites RECAMFT members to dedicate yourself to our pledge and then read/watch six (6) titles on racial/social justice. Here is how the program works.
2. Finish reading/watching the books/videos and complete our Attestation Form to let us know. Helpful tip: Take a few notes on each title as you go. The Attestation Form has some short answer questions for each title you watched/read - very easy, and no wrong answers!
3. All those who complete the program by the 12/31/2023 will be mailed a beautiful Certificate of Achievement for completing RECAMFT's 2023 The Justice Project: Anti-Racism. The certificate will be suitable for framing and display.
Bonus: Be one of the first 25 people to attest, and you will win a free 6 CE Law & Ethics course on Oct. 27th, 2023 at Furth Center with presenter Luke Martin, MBA, JD! SAVE the DATE!!
Attend Dr. Shawan Worsley's presentation in exchange for 1 book.
Double bonus!! Trade reading two books by attending RECAMFT's 6 CE June 2nd Event
"What Every Therapist Needs to Know about Black People and Other People of Color (BIPOC)"
Presented by Shawn Laré Brinkley, LMFT
Not sure where to start? Click here.
When you are finished: Complete our Attestation Form.
Ready? Click the button to be taken to our Attestation Form to receive your certificate!
The Attestation Form will require you to answer 2 short questions about each of your six titles. It may take you about 30 minutes to complete. The form cannot be saved partway through, so please be ready to complete it in its entirety when you begin. These are the questions:
Please watch "13th".
You may watch either of the next two videos to count as one of your 6 titles if you wish.
2. Consider watching "Healing Racialized Trauma: A Conversation with Resmaa Menakem and Tara Brach". He is a fellow therapist, and this video includes a very powerful experiential exercise. Trigger warning.
Here are some great book titles approved to complete your Justice Project readings.
This is the approved book list for The Justice Project. All books have been linked to The Collective Oakland, a Black-owned bookstore.
#1 NY Times Bestseller, winner of multiple awards. Book links to YouTube audiobook.
South to America: A Journey Below the Mason Dixon to Understand the Soul of the Nation
by Imani Perry
Multiple awards, new 2021.
Creative writing/essays/poetry by Black authors
by Erika Lee
Named on of 2015's best non-fiction books of the year by NY Times and Kirkus Reviews. Multiple awards.
1. Watch "13th" (1 hr 40 min).
2. Watch one of the other suggested videos above (either is about an hour).
3. Listen to How to be an Anti-Racist on your commute, or while exercising. It's 9 hrs 45 minutes on Audible. If you listen 30 minutes a day, you'll be done in about 3 weeks.
4. Read or listen to My Grandmother's Hands. The author is a therapist. This book has exercises, so you may enjoy having a physical copy. It is 10 hrs on Audible.
5. Read or listen to Between the World and Me (3 hrs on Audible).
6. Read or listen to The Fire Next Time available on YouTube as a free audiobook (2.5 hrs).
Now you're ready to attest!
RECAMFT’s Values (from our Strategic Plan)
Respect, compassion, inclusivity, collaboration, adaptability, transparency