Don't miss this in-person 6.0 CE Law & Ethics training!
"How to Avoid Being Sued! Staying Out of Legal Trouble with Clients, Employees, and 3rd Party Organizations"
CAMFT Attorney Luke Martin, Esq.
E V E N T D E T A I L S
- Friday, October 27, 2023
- 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Please arrive by 8:30 am to sign in
- Qualifies for 6.0 Law & Ethics CEs
- (6 hours of instruction plus 1 hour for lunch and breaks)
- Mary Agatha Furth Center in Windsor
- $99 pricing now extended through Oct. 24th!
We are not currently planning to live-stream nor record this event. If you would like to participate in this training, please join us in Windsor on October 27th.
Walk-in registrations are welcome, however no lunch is available for walk-ins.
Note: Covid Precautions
We care about the health of our community. We have implemented safety precautions to help everyone stay safe, including:
- Expanded seating arrangements: Participants will be seated no more than 3 people per table to give plenty of space for everyone
- Registration limit: We have capped the event at 120 participants total, in a meeting space that has a capacity of 1,000 people
- Masks are encouraged though not required
- We ask that participants stay home if they feel sick the day of the event or if there is a known covid exposure; we will honor requests for refunds in the event this happens to you
We hope these precautions will help you feel comfortable in attending, in case you were hesitating.
Please write to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about these policies.
Click here to register
Some individuals fear clowns, others fear spiders, but the scariest thing for any LMFT is the dreaded lawsuit. This presentation allows attendees to be exposed to common lawsuit scenarios in a safe environment to demystify the big bad scary lawsuit. The first part of the presentation will focus on common causes of client lawsuits including standard of care deficiencies, failing to complete mandated duties, and how malpractice insurance fits into the fold.
The second part of the presentation will focus on common causes of employee lawsuits including improper wage payments, wrongful termination with a focus on discrimination and harassment, and workplace safety.
The presentation will conclude with a look at the potential consequences on a wrongdoer's license for any mistake made in their personal and/or professional life.
At the conclusion of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Break down the laws surrounding LMFT malpractice in California.
- Identify how the standard of care for an LMFT professional is created.
- Detect when a legal obligation is triggered and what said obligation requires.
- Compare the different types of malpractice insurance coverage.
- Evaluate the appropriateness of letter writing for clients.
- Reflect on the consequences associated with employee allegations of wrongdoing.
- Devise strategies to avoid employer liability.
- Assess what a proper wage structure would be for their organization.
- Define what a protected class is in California.
- Understand the difference between quid pro quo and hostile work environment.
- Discuss how California Business and Professions Code 4982 applies to practitioners.
- Recognize the “double jeopardy” consequence of wrongdoings on an LMFT license.
Click here to register.
Lunch catered by
Swedish Chef Helena from Baked on the River, Guerneville
Lunch options - indicate your choice on your registration form.
All lunch options include a choice of baked goods for dessert.
A. Healthy Grow Salad - Super Greens, Cabbage, Quinoa, Garbanzo Beans, Feta Cheese (plant-based), Bell Pepper, Onion, Carrots, Edamame and Mint-Cilantro Dressing. This is a plant-based option (vegan).
[no photo available but it will be yummy]
| B. Veggie Bella Sandwich served with a side Garden Salad (all veggie) - Roasted Bell Peppers, Portobello Mushroom, Pesto Cream Cheese, Pepper Jack. Choose house baked white or multigrain roll, or gluten-free, keto-friendly thins.
|| C. Turkey Club Sandwich - Roasted Turkey, Cheddar, Turkey Bacon, Tomato Garlic Spread, Lettuce, Red Onion, Mayo (on the side). Served with a side of Creamy Cabbage Salad. Choose house baked white or multigrain roll, or gluten-free, keto-friendly thins.
| [no photo available but it will be yummy]
|| D. River Marble Sandwich - Ham, Prosciutto, Salami, Swiss Cheese and Pepper Spread, Dijon, Cucumber, Red Onion, Lettuce. Served with a side of Creamy Cabbage Salad. Choose house baked white or multigrain roll, or gluten-free, keto-friendly thins.
Regular Registration from September 21 to October 19, 2023 Now extended to October 24, 2023!
Includes your choice of lunch
- Licensed RECAMFT Members $99
- Prelicensed RECAMFT Members $69
- Members of Marin CAMFT (code required) $99
- Non-chapter members/general public $119
Late Registration from October 25 to October 26, 2023Includes Choice A - Healthy Grow Salad
- Licensed RECAMFT Members $129
- Prelicensed RECAMFT Members $129
- Members of Marin CAMFT (code required) $129
- Non-chapter members/general public $140
If you were wanting to register after October 25: Please come to the event and register on site. Walk-in registration will be available, though no lunch will be provided.
Click here to register
About Our Speaker Luke Martin
Luke Matthew Martin, Esq., a member of the State Bar of California since 2011, joined CAMFT as a Staff Attorney in 2019. He has a BA in English and Political Science, an MBA, and a Juris Doctorate degree with a specialization in Child, Family, and Elder Law. Prior to coming to CAMFT, Luke was in-house counsel for several organizations and ran a private practice representing businesses with annual revenues in the millions. He has been recognized by the State Bar of California with the Wiley E. Manuel Certificate for Pro Bono Legal Services for his legal assistance in helping victims of domestic violence. In addition to his work at CAMFT, Luke is an associate professor for several universities lecturing on various topics including political science, business, law, ethics, and mental health.
Mary Agatha Furth Center, 8400 Old Redwood Hwy., Windsor, CA
Redwood Empire Chapter CAMFT (Provider #57173) is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs. Redwood Empire Chapter CAMFT maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
Disability Accommodation: To request an accommodation for a disability, please email email@example.com.
Refunds: Refunds may be requested up to 7 days before the event by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. No refunds are given beginning 7 days prior to the event. If a member cannot attend the event due to a mandatory evacuation or Public Safety Power Shut-off the day of the event, they can request and receive a refund with verification of address.
CE Certificate: You must complete the sign-in and sign-out logs at the beginning and ending of the training in order to verify your attendance in full. After the event, those participants who were confirmed to be in attendance for the entirety of the training will be emailed a post test and an evaluation. Once you pass the post-test, and complete and submit the evaluation, you will have immediate access and be able to print or save your CE Certificate. This course meets the qualifications for 6.0 hrs of continuing education (CE) credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences
Notice of Recording: There are currently no plans to record this event, however we do reserve the right to do so, and if that occurs, then by participating in this event you possibly could appear in that recording. By registering for this event you agree to be recorded/filmed and give permission for RECAMFT to use your likeness where it may appear on our website or in promotion/marketing materials.
Grievances: Direct grievances to email@example.com, and/or the chapter president at firstname.lastname@example.org.