Working with Acceptance & Commitment Therapy
Peter Cellarius, LMFT
Friday, Nov. 3rd, 2023
10:00 am - 12:15 pm
Zoom, 2.0 CEs
Join us for a transformative 2-hour online presentation designed to introduce psychotherapists to the foundational concepts and practical applications of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). As mental health professionals, you understand the importance of evolving therapeutic approaches to better meet the diverse needs of your clients. In this session, we will explore the core principles of ACT, a cutting-edge therapeutic model that combines mindfulness, behavioral science, and values-driven action to help individuals cultivate psychological flexibility and lead more meaningful lives.
During this interactive presentation, we will delve into the theoretical underpinnings of ACT, emphasizing its holistic approach to addressing psychological distress. Through illustrative case examples you will gain insights into how ACT empowers clients to develop a compassionate relationship with their thoughts and feelings, promoting resilience in the face of life's challenges. We will delve into practical techniques that you can integrate into your existing therapeutic toolbox, fostering greater emotional regulation and enhancing psychological well-being. By the end of the presentation, you will have a foundational understanding of ACT and be able to take a first step in incorporating these strategies into your psychotherapeutic practice.
The goals for this presentation are for participants to:
- Understand Core ACT Principles: Gain a clear grasp of the fundamental principles that underpin Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT).
- Apply Mindfulness and Acceptance Techniques: Develop practical skills in incorporating mindfulness and acceptance-based techniques into psychotherapy practice.
- Utilize Values-Driven Interventions: Discover the power of values clarification and its role in facilitating meaningful behavior change.
At the conclusion of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Describe the six core processes of psychological flexibility in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT).
- Guide a brief mindfulness exercise and explain how mindfulness can help clients observe their thoughts and emotions without judgment.
- Identify two cognitive defusion techniques used in ACT and explain how these techniques can help clients distance themselves from unhelpful thoughts and beliefs.
- Explain the concept of values clarification.
RSVP here. Please note that once you have RSVP'd for this event, you will receive a link to register for the Zoom Meeting. You must complete this second Zoom-registration step to gain access to the event link.
Training Schedule and Attendance Requirements
Please note, this is a 2.0-CE training, comprised of two hours of training, plus time for RECAMFT announcements in the meeting. You must be logged on at the beginning of the training, be present during the event (including responding to attendance checks by coming on camera, verbally replying, and/or replying in the chat), and stay logged on for the full duration, to end at 12:15 pm, in order to earn the CEs. If your camera is off the entire time, and RECAMFT cannot verify you were physically present at your computer throughout the training, then RECAMFT cannot issue a CE certificate, as we would not be able to show that the BBS requirements for your participation were met.
About Our Speaker - Peter Cellarius, LMFT
Peter Cellarius (he/him) - Peter is a Marriage and Family Therapist licensed in California, with a career trajectory that has spanned both high-tech corporate and therapeutic domains. Peter left a career as a mergers and acquisitions executive to dedicate himself to helping clients achieve fuller and richer lives. Peter has also served on the CAMFT Board for four years, most recently as secretary.
Peter is certified in Somatic Experiencing and now helps train other aspiring SE therapists. He specializes in trauma and in couples therapy and is also a certified Emotionally Focused Therapist. In addition, Peter holds advanced trainings in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, as well being trained in Internal Family Systems (L2), Compassionate Inquiry, Ericksonian Hypnosis, PACT, EMDR, MI, and AEDP.
At a personal level, Peter can be found trying to cram too much into each day, having recently realized life is decidedly finite. He plays classical piano and exercises regularly, though he notices both seem to take longer and yield less progress than ten years ago. He believes himself to have a sense of humor – not everyone agrees – and is a Buddhist meditator, often honored in the breach. He recently completed an ayahuasca journey, which he recommends to anyone who wants a bracing encounter with their own stored trauma while viscerally experiencing what deep nausea can be like.
Zoom Meeting. Requires pre-registration with Zoom; please make sure you register with Zoom with the link provided in your RECAMFT confirmation email.
Video Recording and On-Demand Option
RECAMFT plans to record this event, to make it available as an on-demand CE-earning program, barring any unforeseen technical or production issues. The on-demand version would be available for free to RECAMFT members, and for purchase by non-members. (Please note, access to our on-demand programs is a benefit of RECAMFT membership only and is not part of the reciprocal benefits extended to Marin CAMFT members.)
For non-RECAMFT members: Please do not register for this "live" Zoom event if you are only interested in accessing the on-demand version. If you pay to register this "live" event, you are registering for this event only; on-demand access is not included. If you later decide you would rather do the on-demand program and not attend "live", then you would need to cancel your registration for this "live" event per the refund policy below. If you register for this training under one of the paid registration options, and do not attend, and later ask to get access to the on-demand program, there will be a $10 administrative fee to cover RECAMFT's costs in setting up access to that separate program.
Redwood Empire Chapter CAMFT (Provider #57173) is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs. Redwood Empire Chapter CAMFT maintains responsibility for this program/course and its content.
- Disability Accommodation: To request an accommodation for a disability, please email email@example.com.
- Refunds: Refunds may be requested up to 7 days before the event by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. No refunds are given beginning 7 days prior to the event. If a member cannot attend the event due to a mandatory evacuation or Public Safety Power Shut-off the day of the event, they can request and receive a refund with verification of address.
- CE Certificate: You must be physically present at your computer and watching and/or listening to the training while logged onto the zoom meeting for the entire presentation, and complete a post test and an evaluation to receive your CE credit certificate. At the conclusion of this educational event, after confirming attendance, an email with a link to the test and evaluation form will be sent to all attendees whose physical attendance during the online meeting is verified. Once you complete and submit your evaluation, you will have immediate access and be able to print or save your CE Certificate. This course meets the qualifications for 2.0 hrs of continuing education (CE) credit for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and/or LEPs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
- Notice of Recording: Whenever possible, our CE events are recorded or filmed and may appear on our website. Due to presenter request, there are however no plans to record this training.
- Grievances: Direct grievances to email@example.com, and/or the chapter president at firstname.lastname@example.org.